Last Updated: Feb 26, 2013
This select list of human rights films includes both DVDs and VHS available at SFCC Library some of which students must view in the library. This list includes reviews and a permalink to check for availability
- Amnesty International
See Priorities for a list of issues.
- Human Rights Watch - Publications
- Country Reports on Human Rights Practices
United States Dept. of State reports issued annually
- Business and Human Right Research Centre
New! "Our website is updated hourly with news and reports about companies’ human rights impacts worldwide – positive and negative." Index by country, corporation and issue.
- The Innocence Project
The project assists prisoners who could be proven innocent through DNA testing. To date, 259 people in the United States have been exonerated by DNA testing, including 17 who served time on death row. These people served an average of 13 years in prison before exoneration and release.
- Human Rights - Virtual Library Mega Site
Collection of Human Rights Organizations. Usefulness of sites varies.
- Federation of International Human Rights Organizations
Global Issues link is very good for current news
- Human Rights and Business
Information by corporation, country and issues. "We seek responses from companies to allegations of misconduct: thus ensuring that our coverage is balanced and encouraging companies to address concerns raised by civil society."
- Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies
Links to holocaust memoirs,recent human rights news.country updates, and efforts to prevent future genocides.
- The Torture Archive
The Torture Archive is over 83,000 pages of primary source documents related to the detention and interrogation of individuals by the United States, in connection with the conduct of hostilities in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as in the broader context of the "global war on terror."
- Human Rights Education Association
Link to organizations that deal with various rights issues and education resources.
- United Nations. Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
- United States Human Right Documents
- World Organization Against Torture
- International Labor Conventions & Standards by Subject
- Doctor's Without Borders
- MADRE - Rights, Resources and Results for Women
News and projects for womens' rights especially in developing countries.
- Washington State Human Rights Commission
Links to legal information on employment, fair housing and disability discrimination in Washington State.
- Hear my testimony : María Teresa Tula, human rights activist of El Salvador /
SFCC Library 323.092 TULA
- I, Rigoberta Menchú : an Indian woman in Guatemala
- Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty
Development finance has undergone intense reexamination in recent years and has drawn fire from many quarters, from environmentalists concerned about megaprojects undertaken in developing countries with heavy funding from international aid agencies, to observers objecting to waste and manipulation of development aid. Micro-lending, on the other hand, has been warmly received by just about all observers--very small loans made "where the rubber meets the road"
- Strangers in the house: coming of age in occupied Palestine.
Shehadeh, a lawyer and activist, is famous in Palestine but unknown in the U.S. This moving memoir tells the story of his youth. Born in 1951, three years after the creation of the Israeli state, he never knew true freedom. His movements were limited, his schools inferior, his leaders sometimes imprisoned or killed. Shehadeh's father, a voice for peace, advocating a state for Israel and a state for Palestine, when he was assassinated, Shehadeh was radicalized....
- Jesus Teco Osorio [videorecording]
SFCC Media Office--Library use only MV 12876
Jesus Teco Osorio witnessed the massacre of his family in the highlands of Guatemala as a ten-year-old child. Since that time, he has become an advocate for human rights, fighting to bring those responsible for the Guatemalan masssacres of the 1970’s and 1980’s to justice.
- Human Rights Watch - World Report (Print)Ref 323.4905 HUMAN
Published every year the current edition shelved in Reference, older editions check-out. World Report is also available online.
- World At Risk (Print) Reference 327 World
An overview of global issues.
- Human Rights: The Essential Reference. (Print) 323 DEVINE
Published in 1999 this book is useful for the history of human rights issues. This textbook style guide provides summaries including: history of human rights theory prior to 1948; the seminal Universal Declaration of Human Rights; the contemporary human rights movement 38 noted activists; and issues.